Friday 21 August 2015

Mother Gothel (Tangled)

Mother knows best!


 
Rapunzel's Pop was released earlier this month, with only Pascal and Maximus to accompany her. Now Disney Pops have a history of ignoring the leading man (sorry Flynn, they just couldn't get your nose right, I'm sure), but I was sad to see that Tangled's villain was overlooked. Mother Gothel is one of the more subtle Disney villains, as she uses manipulation of others instead of force. I can respect that. I thought it only fitting that she join Rapunzel on my shelf.

Last time I'd made a custom though, it'd been from a blank DIY. Mother Gothel's hair was clearly going to be the biggest challenge, and to get that looking right from a DIY was far too intimidating. This in mind, I started browsing existing figures for one who had a better starting point to work from. This actually worked out very well, as I realised that Merida from Brave could be transformed to Mother Gothel with very little difficulty.

Snip off the bow, reposition the arm, turn her belt into the sash, change the sleeves and neckline, and voila! Add a coat of paint, and a hero becomes a villain.



The Run Down:

Base Pop/s: Merida (Disney 57)

Biggest Challenges: None, really. Very easy custom. Painting the black into all the detail of the curls was time consuming though.

How I'd Improve It: I'm pretty happy with this. I guess I could have added a mirror or the magic flower to her hand to give her a recognisable symbol though. 


No comments:

Post a Comment