Thursday 27 August 2015

Hades (Hercules)

Memo to me: maim you after my meeting.



 
What's not to love about the God of the Underworld, Hades, in Disney's Hercules? He's scheming, he's well-designed and he's voiced by James Woods. Since we don't have Hercules Pops (yet), I figured Hades was another must-have for my collection.


One of my students recently gave me a double of old DBZ Pops for my birthday, since he knew I was a customiser. I'd originally tried to make a Hades head out of Fear from Inside Out, as he had that nice long shape to work with, but I really wasn't happy with how the flame hair turned out. When I saw Vegeta, I knew I had my solution and scrapped my previous progress. Cutting off his scanner revealed, to my surprise, no vinyl underneath. As such, I had to patch over this hole with clay.


The body on the finished product is completely different from its original form. The reason I chose this body was its pose, with the snowflake in hand that I could build a fireball around. As such, a lot of work went into his lower half, to create the toga and smoke tentacle things around his base. I'm pretty proud of how this outfit looks, with the folds and everything, the little skull broach...I just feel like this came out well and is quite recognisably Hades.





The Run Down:

Base Pop/s: head- Vegeta (Dragonball Z 10), body- Jack Skellington with Snowflake (Disney 114)

Biggest Challenges: The flames. I redid the head completely after failing too much with them.

How I'd Improve It:  Be able to take a better photo! The flash really doesn't do his toga any justice.


No comments:

Post a Comment