Thursday 3 September 2015

Pyramid Head (Silent Hill)


Sometimes it's enjoyable to see intelligent or manipulative villains. Other times, as is the case with Pyramid Head (also known as Red Pyramid), it's just about messing up the good guys. Another character from the Silent Hill franchise, I knew I wanted to have him join my Alessa. Pyramid Head doesn't need to say a word to be scary. He just lugs around his huge-ass knife, and will rip your skin off if he catches you. Suffice it to say, don't let him catch you.


I was originally going to use the bottom of a junk Pop's head in order to have stability for the neck connection, but I ended up scrapping this idea early on, as it just wasn't condusive to getting his head the right shape. As a result, I made it completely from scratch, using nothing but clay and some al-foil to help pad the insides to keep the shape. I did the clay in two stages: first to construct the shape, then a second round to add the details. I'm really glad I decided to go ahead and do the grates on his head the way that I did, rather than trying to paint them on. The texture looks really cool in person.


I ended up using part of the junk head anyway though, as I wanted Pyramid Head to be taller than your average Pop (he stands a good 8 or 9 feet usually). I glued the original body's feet onto a platform made from spare head, filled it in with al-foil for shape, then wrapped it with the clay for his butcher's apron.

I carved a little hole through his right hand and used wire to secure his knife to it. His knife is almost as tall as he is, so I knew that having something sturdier than just clay or superglue would help keep him together.

Aside from the work on Alessa, this was my first time really experimenting with paint to create some cool effects. I used about four different colours in various layers on the helmet to help create the right sort of look. The tan colour on the apron was originally just going to be my base coat, but I ended up really liking the way it worked with the grey underneath; it looked like his clothes were weathered, which helped create the illusion I wanted, so I kept it as is. Blood, of course, was a necessity. Again though, I wanted it looking more naturally and smeary, not cartoony with defined edges.




The Run Down:

Base Pop/s: head- made from scratch, body- Alcide Herveaux (True Blood 131)

Biggest Challenges: The painting. Trying to get the right levels of rusty, bloody looking metal on him without making it cartoony.

How I'd Improve It: I'm happy with this! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment