Tuesday 8 September 2015

Blind Mag (Repo: The Genetic Opera)

Come take these eyes; I'd rather be blind!




Most of you may not recognise Blind Mag; she is a character from one of my favourite musicals, Repo: The Genetic Opera. It's a dystopian, gory, comic-styled masterpiece that prompts us to consider just how far medical (and capitalist) advances may go. Ignore what the critics say- this is a cult favourite for a reason. This is a world where organ repossessions are legal, and fatal, and Mag is the shining star representing Geneco to the world. Her eyes, which are biomechanical, are property of her employer, and upon leaving the company she loses all right to them. Played by Sarah Brightman, she is a hauntingly beautiful character, so one I wanted to recreate in Pop form, based on her climactic Chromaggia look.

With the body for this, I was originally planning on using Buffy's whole Pop, but her pose really didn't seem very Blind Mag to me. I decided to experiment with something new I hadn't done before; I sliced both Buffy and Jasmine through their torsos and glued them together as one. It had the arms and chest of Jasmine and the mini skirt, legs and boots of Buffy. This was very fiddly at first and took some trying, but once I wrapped the join with some clay and baked it for strength my Frankenstein creation actually worked out pretty well.


There were a couple of details on Blind Mag that I felt were important in helping her be recognisable from her Chromaggia scene, such as her feathery outfit, the OTT eye makeup and, of course, her distinctive Geneco-given eyes. For those with sharp vision, you'd notice I also added little things like the silver eye gougers on her index fingers. I'd considered whether or not I should do post-gouging Blind Mag, with the empty sockets and eyes on her nails, but I thought in the end that this would be more identifiable. Maybe it's an idea for a variant down the track, who knows?




The Run Down:

Base Pop/s: head- Buffy (Buffy 121), body- top half was Jasmine (Disney 52), bottom half was Buffy (Buffy 121)

Biggest Challenges: Getting the body as one piece

How I'd Improve It: I'm happy with it. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment