Saturday 12 September 2015

Ash Ketchum (Pokemon)

I'm going to be a Pokemon Master!



After making my Vulpix and Eevee, I'd had the idea to make some more Pokemon Pops. Having watched the anime since I was a kid, I decided that the iconic forever-10-year-old wannabe Pokemon Master, Ash Ketchum, would be a suitable choice.

For the head I looked though Pops with hats, to see if I could avoid having to make one myself. I ended up choosing Glenn from TWD, as he not only had a cap on, but also had a spiky black tuft of hair poking out from under it that was very Ash (though facing the wrong direction, I acknowledge). I repainted the hat and added spikes of hair sticking out on the sides. I was tempted to try to do the little lightning bolt makes on his cheeks, but decided that it wasn't worth risking stuffing it up.

The Governor from TWD had good clothing to form the basis for Ash's body, though there were obvious obstacles. It would have been nice to have been able to put a Pokeball in Ash's hand, rather than the machete, however pose didn't allow for this. I went through my box of dissembled Pops to see if I could just steal someone else's hand for this, but none matched the size and angle that I was going to need. As such, I just sliced off the machete and put the Pokeballs on his belt. I trimmed down the watch and wristband and used those as the tops of his gloves. I also added in the cuffs on his pants. Then it was just a matter of painting.

I'm quite happy with how Ash turned out. I think that any Pokemon nerd would be able to recognise who it is supposed to be, which for me is mission accomplished. In the future I think I'll attempt a Pikachu custom to go with him, probably out of the newly released GITD Gir, since the original one is a bit pricey. Let me know what you think!




The Run Down:

Base Pop/s: head- Glenn (The Walking Dead 35), body- Governor (The Walking Dead 66)

Biggest Challenges:Trying to get some of the detail work done neatly, such as the logo on his hat.

How I'd Improve It: Fine details like the black outlining on his shoes. I still wish I could have found a hand that would have held a Pokeball nicely, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment